Wave goodbye to that can of cream of mushroom soup and meet your new favorite green bean casserole! It’s got bacon, chives, and SO much cheese. If you’ve got vegetarian company, feel free to leave the bacon outit’s got plenty of cheese to make up for it. Just use 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter to make up for the bacon fat.
Also try our other recipes > Award Winning Instant Pot ChiliINGREDIENTS
- 2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. slices bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 c. shredded cheddar, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. French’s fried onions
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 350′. Prepare an ice bath. In a large pot of boiling water, add green beans and cook until bright green, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon or tongs, quickly transfer green beans to ice bath to cool, then drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook bacon until crisp, 8 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook until lightly golden and no longer raw, about 2 minutes.
- Add milk, Worcestershire, and garlic powder and bring up to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let mixture thicken slightly, about 2 minutes, then whisk in 2 1/2 cups cheddar until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Combine green beans and cheese sauce in a medium baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar and bake until warmed through and bubbling around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Top with bacon and fried onions and bake 5 minutes more.
- Garnish with chives before serving.