This delicious Low-Carb Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole recipe is perfect for the holidays! It can be a part of a low-carb, LC/HF, keto, Atkins, diabetic, or Banting diet.
This Low-Carb Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole is loaded with green beans and mushrooms in a cheesy creamy sauce scented with garlic and onions. More cheese on the top adds even more parmesan goodness!
Low-Carb Green Bean, Mushroom, and Parmesan Casserole
This delicious Low-Carb Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole recipe is perfect for the holidays! It can be part of a low-carb, LC/HF, keto, Atkins, diabetic, or Banting diet.
Course Side Dish
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 pound green beans fresh or frozen, sliced into 1-2 inch segments.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock low salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese finely grated, quantity divided
- Preheat oven to 350′ Fahrenheit. Prepare a 8″ X 8″ baking pan by spraying it with coconut oil spray or greasing with butter.
- Fill lower part of steamer with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water. Bring water to a simmer.
- When water has reached a simmer, place green beans in the top portion of the steamer. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Cover and place over the simmering water in the lower portion of the steamer. Steam beans until crisp-tender–about 8-10 minutes. Transfer beans to the prepared baking pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add butter. When butter has melted and has stopped foaming, add mushrooms. Lightly season mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until tender–about 5 minutes. Transfer to baking dish.
- Meanwhile, In a large mixing bowl, whip cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Blend in vinegar, garlic, and onion powder.
- Gradually add the stock, one tablespoon or so at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition. Stir in 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Taste and add salt if necessary. Taste after salting and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the beans and mushrooms in the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over top. Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly in the center and cheese is melted–about 35 minutes.
- If cheese topping is not browned to your liking, place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.