These low carb cheese sticks also have the added benefit of filling the occasional need for keto-friendly convenience foods. I like to make a double batch and store some in the freezer for later use. They can be cooked from frozen, so if I keep some on hand then I’m never more than about ten minutes away from cheesy, melty awesomeness.
You don’t even have to limit yourself to mozzarella; the recipe should work with any string cheese that has similar moisture content. I’ve used it to make fried pepperjack (which you can spot in the picture above) with equally delicious result
- 5 one ounce sticks of mozzarella string cheese, halved widthwise
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 t. each of dried basil and oregano)
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk egg with salt and pepper in a small bowl. In a separate shallow dish, combine the dry ingredients.
- Dip each piece of cheese into the egg, and then roll in the parmesan mixture to coat. Repeat this twice to form a double coating on each cheese stick.
- Place cheese sticks into a small rectangular dish or other container, and chill in the freezer for at least 25 minutes.
- Heat about half an inch of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry cheese sticks until golden brown, about 60 to 90 seconds per side. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Serve alone, or with a side of low carb marinara sauce for dipping.