Hi! Kinslee here! Today I’m going to be showing you our strawberry valentine cake! It’s very decorative for a cake. You know, I’m only ten and I love to decorate cakes! I lie in bed at night coming up with cool ideas for cakes! Brace yourselves, cause I’m on a roll!
This valentine cake is pretty pink, frosted with vanilla buttercream icing, and topped off with some cute mini cupcakes! When we made this recipe, we used a strawberry box mix, but we made it with an additional extender recipe. What is an extender recipe? It’s where you add some additional ingredients like flour and also sugar to make a boxed cake mix taste like a homemade cake recipe. It also gives you more batter to work with. For this recipe, you’re definitely going to need more batter because you’ll make 2 8? round cakes and mini cupcakes.
You are going to need twelve mini cupcakes to surround this 8? pan. For the cupcakes, you are going to put buttercream frosting on with a decorating bag and a Wilton 1M tip.
To make the hearts, just melt pink Wilton Candy Melts in the microwave at 30 second intervals until it is smooth and creamy. Pour the melted candy into a disposable frosting bag. Use a #3 tip to squeeze out little hearts onto wax paper. These will set very quickly!
Once the hearts are set, gently push a heart into the little mounds of frosting on the mini cupcakes.
- 1 box Duncan Hines strawberry supreme cake mix
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 6-8 tablespoons milk
- Pink Wilton candy melts and Valentine’s Day sprinkles (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, mix together the dry cake mix, flour, sugar and baking soda. Add the water, oil, vanilla. Then add one egg at a time, mixing the batter between each egg addition. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth.
for full instruction please see : www.tastesoflizzyt.com